Thursday, August 23, 2012

Forever Young

A few days ago, I was driving my little brother Jack Jack somewhere. The west coast? Home? Publix? I can't remember. But what I do remember is that "Don't Miss Your Life" by Phil Vassar came on the radio. It's one of those songs that make you want to grab a pint of cookie dough ice cream, mourn your lost innocence, and never be happy again. The lyrics are chalk full of missed opportunity and chances you'll never get back.


But Jack, apparently unaware of my emotional turmoil from the backseat, kept talking about his score in Fruit Ninja. I did a few "mhmm"s and super subtle "yeah, that's cool"s, but he just wasn't running out of things to say. Had I used the American Flag blade yet? Yup. He just cut up a power-up pomegranate for 25 points. Wasn't that cool? Yeah, bud, that's super cool.
Just when I was about to turn around and ask him to not talk until the song was done, I realized that this was the life the song warned me about: the life I was missing.


My brother is six years old, going on seven. He still laughs at the jokes on Disney channel, and he has no idea that "The Suite Life" wasn't originally "On Deck". He loves baseball, and he started coach pitch last season. Pokemon has always had 7 generations, and Jar Jar Binks has always been in Star Wars. He's a little boy, and he does little boy things. Apparently in all of my twenty years, I forgot what that was like.

"Some day, you'll be old enough to start reading fairy tales again" (C.S. Lewis)

I have three younger siblings, and five on the days we want to be technical. Jack is named after an animated Pixar superhero; Calista wants to be a part-time Soccer player, part-time Olympic swimmer, and full-time book reader all in one; and in a day far, far away, Julia will talk to me about boys...... Maybe when she gets her permit. Zing ;)


Watching my mom run her house of seven has made me gain a healthy appreciation for what adults put up with in a kid's world. There are only so many spilled milks, broken plates, and Powderpuff Girl reruns any (wo)man can handle. I tip my hat to those who can fake it till they make it through the roller coasters, arcade games, and play dates. But I think more importantly, I appreciate all those brave folk ridden with age who don't fake it at all.

I appreciate those who see a kid laughing and they laugh too. I appreciate those who see childhood in full bloom and not only remember what it was like, but also realize that it's not all that different now. The only time you miss life, Mr. Vassar, is when you think you've outgrown it.

"If growing up means it would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree, I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!" (J.M. Barrie, "Peter Pan")

I fully realize that I don't fit on most playgrounds, and I'm pretty sure the security at Boomers wouldn't let me in all by myself. No complaints.
But I'm still young enough to run outside in the rain during a thunderstorm and not worry about getting my shoes wet. I still spend hours doing absolutely nothing but talking to friends on a Monday night, and I'm still hoping that one day, I'll hit six foot.
Being a child isn't about being a certain age--it's about being young. And as far as I'm concerned, nothing is stopping me.


There's still a lot of magic in the world. A first kiss, a walk under a magnolia tree in Spring, and the first time your newborn child wraps their hand around your pinky. Those moments happen, and if they don't make you believe in pumpkin carriages, I don't know what will.
A happily ever after is only impossible when you stop wishing for one, and there are a lot of stars in the sky.

So this is to Jack, who is growing older way too fast but not growing up at all. I wish you never will.

No comments:

Post a Comment